Thursday 7 March 2013

Library Loot - 6th March

badge-4Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire fromThe Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries. Marg has the Mr Linky this week!


I finally made it to the library. I don't know the weather and just greyness of England has made me want to stay home and read, work and actually avoid the continual mess in my study. Well the library books were due back, so it was either head out into a dash of spring sunlight or get a library fine. I opted for the going out method!

Women of the Raj: The Mothers, Wives, and…A few weeks ago I reserved a book to aid my research and I had received an email advising the book was in and please collect within 2 weeks....the clock had been ticking and the book was in danger of being returned from where it came, which appears to be Budleigh Salterton.

I staggered down with a few books for renewal and subsequently bought them home again, along with the requested book and another book. I also collected the book which is the read for the March book group meeting.

A Year of Doing Good: One Woman, One New…The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The help is the book for the book group at the end of the month and will be a re-read. I also notice that I have not added my review to my blog or LibraryThing, which I will do at somepoint.

Today is World Book Day and I didn't notice any signs in the library, but then I was disappearing under the mountain of books I was renewing!. 

The IslandI heard last week that I have been selected to receive 20 books as part of World Book Night on 23rd April. The book I chose and know I have been allocated was The Island by Victoria Hislop.

I read this book back in 2007. The central character, Alexis is about to go on holiday with her boyfriend, to the country of her mother's birth Greece. She knows nothing about her heritage and suggests that she might visit the village her mother was born in. Armed with a letter to one of her mother's friends Alexis embarks on a journey that she will never forget.

Having reached Crete she leaves her boyfriend heads to the village. She heads off on a trip to the nearby deserted island of Spinalonga, which she establishes is a former leper colony. She spends a few hours there and heads back to the village to seek out her mother's friend. She meets up with Fortini who then shares with her the loves and lives of her mother and the generations that went before her and the connection the family had to Spinalonga.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...