Wednesday 1 August 2012

Carnival Of Genealogy 120 - Business and Commerce

My Grandmother always said "Uncle Joe had a shop and he went to Canada, but they didn't like it so they came back"  - It is not much to go on, but I did establish who Uncle Joe was and just where he slotted in to the family history.

My Grandmother's Aunt was Eliza Elstone, born in 1862 in Bramshott Hampshire to James Elstone and his wife Mary Denyer. In 1887 Eliza married Joseph Parslow in Kingston Upon Thames and together they raised a family of four children.
  • Lilian Sophie born 1890 in Ontario Canada
  • Emma Mary born 1893 in Ontario Canada
  • Richard Henry born 1895 in Ontario Canada and died 1897 in Kingston Surrey
  • Dorothy Edith born 1898 in Kingston Upon Thames Surrey
The Census reveals that Joseph was originally from Waltham Abbey in Essex where he had been born in 1863. At some point the Parslow's moved to Kingston as there is a well known population of the family there. Kingston is a Royal Borough and sits on the Thames and is technically in Surrey, and was originally in part of Greater London. 

So where was the shop and what sort of shop was it? Uncle Joe  had a second hand and antiques shop in in Woking and the family can be traced at an address in Monument Road Woking during the 1921 - 1923 period.  The 1901 Census shows the family living at Chertsey Street Woking, which is parallel to the work address, so that was a fairly easy commute to work!

There is so much work still to do with this family line. There was all sorts of stories from my Grandmother, a daughter, was killed by a Doddlebug during the war, twin boys called Pip and Squeak. All stands of mystery, some of which have been unravelled, although not fully. The daughter "killed by a Doddlebug" was in fact not killed and research has shown that she married and raised her family not more than 50 miles from where I am now sitting!

Taking part in the Carnival Of Genealogy, hosted by CreativeGene

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear the daughter was not killed by a doodlebug after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this was an interesting article. I was not familiar with the term "doodlebug" and had to do a Google search to figure out what you were referring to. The first definition I came across said it was a roll-up bug also known as a pillbox bug. I got a good laugh at the idea of one of those killing anyone. Further reading revealed to me that a doodlebug was also a small vehicle. Now that made more sense! Anyway, like Kristin, I'm glad to know that the daughter wasn't killed by a doodlebug after all. Thanks for sharing your family's story and participating in the COG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always smile when I read my notes about the Doodlebug, although when I discussed with Mum she thought that it was actually the name given to one of the bombs dropped by the Germans. That said, the daughter did survive the war and your comment has given me further thought of researching in the local newspaper archives.

      Delete
  3. Another fascinating family story. Enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I do love those cryptic "one-sentence histories" ---and how you put it together was interesting. That line will keep you busy, doodlebugs and all. BTW, I even knew what a doodlebug was --- o, way too old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you love the challenge of family history? There's always more to the mystery. I wish I could have shopped in his second hand and antiques store. By the way, what is a doodlebug?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...