Saturday 28 January 2006

Making Rugs

There was a posting on one of the genealogical mailing lists that I belong to on making rugs. It set me thinking about the rugs that my great grandmother, Annie Prudence Butcher, nee Harris who lived in Surrey, used to make.

She used to use string instead of knitting wool then somehow used carpet wool cut in lengths which then allowed the string to be able to be attached to the hesian back using a sacking needle. Looking front to back there was the wool at the front, string in the middle then the hesian back.

I might try and make a very small one as a sample, so that I can see the process that was used in making a rug in this tradtional way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...