Tuesday 9 July 2013

George's War

Last March, on what would have been my Grandfather's 104th birthday I wrote about what I affectionately call George's War. You can read that earlier post HERE, or you can stop by my blog called George's War, which is HERE.

Yesterday it was very hot and humid, so instead of sitting outside I tried to tackle the backlog of email. I had just sat down when I spotted a new addition to the pile, from someone whose father in law had served in Sierra Leone about the time my Grandfather had been posted to West Africa. The pile of email and tasks forgotten as I headed to the filing cabinet to extract my Grandfather's service record.

The chances that my Grandfather knew this man is not outside the realms of possibility; I guess there were many servicemen posted there, so despite the odds stacked against them knowing each other, I somehow, and quite unexplainable, feel a little connection between myself and my Grandfather's Africa days.

My Grandfather passed away on 20th July 1974, so in a few weeks it will be 39 years,so between now and then I really must crack on and try to get to the bottom of his Service Record.

In a strange way, it just seems so very important to look at this now.

I shall leave this post with a copy of my favourite photograph of him. He must have sent this to my Grandmother as it quite simply it reads on the back -
"Your loved one, George X"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...