Wednesday 13 November 2013

Remembrance Day Photo Collage - Day Ten

This picture has hung in my in-laws hall for at least the last 15 years or so. Just recently I had cause to look a bit closer at it and take some photographs.

What does this signify? This was given to my father in law in recognition of his contribution during Second World War whilst serving in the Royal Navy. He was present on HMS Byron and took part in the Arctic Convoys.

No individual medal was every awarded to these servicemen, and it has only been this year that has been rectified. Medals are firstly, and quite rightly being awarded to those men who took part who are still alive, before moving to being awarded posthumously to their widows and families.

There is a Museum that focus' on the Russian Arctic Convoys HERE.

I had hoped to undertake a bit of extra research today. Sadly that has not been possible and thus this post is fairly short, but over the coming weeks I shall look at this closer, so please keep reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...