Friday 21 October 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Wk 42 - Favourite School Subject


Week 42. Favorite School Subject. What was your favorite subject in school and why? Was it also your best subject?
This challenge runs from Saturday, October 15, 2011 through Friday, October 21, 2011.
The subjects we often excel at are usually because we have a genuine interest in them and are inspired by people around us.

There is probably no great surprise that I loved English Literature and History. Both were subjects that I had a genuine interest in and the particular teachers that I had for those subjects inspired me greatly. 

The school that I attended was a comprehensive, but had previously been a Grammar School and had maintained many of the old and traditional ways. The number of students in each year was around 120. There was a Head Master a rather formidable chap called Mr Smith. He had a Deputy Head called Mrs Davies and a Senior Master called Mr Tanner. As you entered the school from middle school, so aged 12 years there was a head of year, another Mr Smith and then there was a set of form tutors. Those you saw probably twice a day, unless they also taught you during the day. As you progressed through the school you kept your form tutor, so there was a degree of relationship and bonding between the tutor and students. 
My form teacher at Senior school was a Miss Russell. She was a rather buxom spinster who had dedicated her life to teaching. Miss Russell also taught me history, and was my additional inspiration. Miss Russell retired the year that we took our final exams. At the end of year 5. I know it seems odd, because we started at year 2! - Then after exams you decided if you were to stay on and undertake A levels before University or would attend college for a course there or A levels. 

Our uniform was navy blue skirts and apple green shirts with a navy blue jumper or blazer. The hockey kit was navy blue skirt, white sports top and bright red knee high socks. The school tradition was, as you left school, that everyone wrote on the blouse or shirt you wore that day; both pupils and teachers. I still have mine in the loft with every one's name and message. I also have the badge that I detached from my school blazer. 

We had one year photo taken during my time at Guildford County School. This is from 1983, and sadly Miss Russell is not in it!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie

    I wondered if you have a larger copy of the school photo, I think I may be in it! Can't work out my dates but I'm 46 now and was Beverley Mullard then. I recognise a few of the teachers....Miss Russell was my History teacher too, extremely strict. If you can confirm, I'd be really grateful as I don't have many pics. beverley dot hughes at ymail dot com

    Thanks!

    Bev


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bev,

      Thanks for your message. There is a Centenary event planned for GCS in 2014. From the details you gave I think you were in the year above me.

      I will email you though with a copy of the picture.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...