Monday 3 October 2011

Tea Cup Tuesday - Royal Commemoratives 1887

Hello & welcome to the latest addition to my regular series called Tea Cup Tuesdays. I was so glad that I stumbled across this meme a couple of months ago. It gives me chance to share my treasures and have a wander down memory lane as I recall the story that accompanies the various tea cups.

This week is a Victorian coffee cup, produced to commemorate the Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887. I promise, I do have other non commemorative tea cups, but I am posting about them in the order they appear in the china cabinet in my breakfast room! I know your probably thinking that is organised, but it really helps my shocking memory!

Here is the little treasure




Isn't it sweet? This was my first purchase back in 2002 from a well known auction site - eBay! The little coffee cup cost about £5 and I was delighted with the purchase. It didn't matter that it had some damage to it, as that I feel simply adds to the character of such a little piece. I wonder who purchased this item and from where and how much. I do wish the little cup could tell me of its life before I purchased it, but that is not to be. So it sits in my china cabinet, amongst the china that I have either collected or inherited and is often admired.

Submitted as part of Tea Cups Tuesday hosted by Artful Affirmations & Martha's Favourites

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found us too and that you are having a good time sharing your amazing china! This cup is great, I love the emblem on the front. It is really old! We don't see many this old here in the US. We are too young a country : )
    I love coming to see your collection. I am excited to see what else you have in your china cupboard.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your posts as I find the commemoratives very interesting. You have shown several vintage and antique ones,

    I just have a few of ERII's coronation,and silver jubilee, Charles and Diana's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a distinctive cup that is; thanks for sharing one of your treasures today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    its very interesting to see such antique tea cups. I have never seen such one before. Thank you for all the information. Wish you a lot of fun by visiting me and the other participants.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for stopping by and Terri for the lovely comment. I did wonder if I was being too boring posting the same types, but obviously not. I have lots more in the china cabinets, so watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always interesting to learn of the cups and their history..,Pretty , rich colors as well.

    Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

    Hugs, Wanda Lee

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...