Sunday 2 December 2012

Deck the Halls – 2012 Christmas Geneameme

Playing along with Pauline from Family History Across the Seas here is

THE 2012 CHRISTMAS GENEAMEME
  1. Do you have any special Xmas traditions in your family? - I think I have adapted the things I did as a child into my married life Christmas festivities, although I am not a very festive person!
  2. Is church attendance an important part of your Christmas celebrations and do you go the evening before or on Xmas Day? - Sadly no. I used to go to Midnight Mass in my home town, but not since we moved to Devon.
  3. Did/do you or your children/grandchildren believe in Santa? - I think my husband still does!
  4. Do you go carolling in your neighbourhood? - No
  5. What’s your favourite Christmas music? - All sorts
  6. What’s your favourite Christmas carol? - I don't think I have a favourite, but if I had to select one it would be Hark the Hearlds
  7. Do you have a special Xmas movie/book you like to watch/read? - We often watch Home Alone and the remake of Miracle on 34th Street
  8. Does your family do individual gifts, gifts for littlies only, Secret Santa (aka Kris Kringle)? - No
  9. Is your main Christmas meal indoors or outdoors, at home or away? - Definetely indoors!
  10. What do you eat as your main course for the Christmas meal? - Turkey
  11. Do you have a special recipe you use for Xmas? - Yes, Mum has a super recipe for Rum Truffles and a Christmas pudding & Christmas cake recipe
  12. Does Christmas pudding feature on the Xmas menu? Is it your recipe or one you inherited? - Yes it does, it is a recipe that my Grandmother found in a magazine and since then both my Mum and I use the recipe.
  13. Do you have any other special Christmas foods? What are they? - Gammon. As a child we always had gammon for tea on Christmas Day. Now I cook a slightly larger joint and we eat it for dinner on Christmas Eve and then the rest of Christmas Day.
  14. Do you give home-made food/craft for gifts at Christmas? - Sometimes it depends on the person and the gift
  15. Do you return to your family for Xmas or vice versa? - No they usually come to me & I cook!
  16. Is your Christmas celebrated differently from your childhood ones? If yes, how does it differ?
  17. How do you celebrate Xmas with your friends? Lunch? Pre-Xmas outings? Drop-ins? - A combination of all those!
  18. Do you decorate your house with lights? A little or a lot? - Yes we decorate the house. Personally I don't like it, but I live with a Christmas baby!
  19. Is your neighbourhood a “Xmas lights” tour venue? - No
  20. Does your family attend Carols by Candlelight singalongs/concerts? Where? - Actually I used to always attend Midnight Mass in my hometown. Since moving to Devon I have never been.
  21. Have any of your Christmases been spent camping (unlikely for our northern-hemisphere friends)? - Yes, we spent the Christmas of 1996 in Australia. I am simply not convinced of 40 degree and Prawns for Christmas Day, although it was lovely!
  22. Is Christmas spent at your home, with family or at a holiday venue? - Home with family
  23. Do you have snow for Christmas where you live? - Sometimes, but more often than not rain
  24. Do you have a Christmas tree every year? - Yes, except for 1996 when we were not home from Australia until the end of Jan
  25. Is your Christmas tree a live tree (potted/harvested) or an imitation? - We have a Blue Spruce outside and inside a rather lovely pre lit tree
  26. Do you have special Xmas tree decorations? - Yes, we have a lovely Spode Millennium bauble that we bought in 2000
  27. Which is more important to your family, Christmas or Thanksgiving? - Christmas, as I live in the UK we don't celebrate Thanksgiving!
I am taking part in the Geneabloggers Advent Calendar to read the posts - follow this tagline

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:12 pm

    i love home alone! also, i have been to devon (exeter), i visited a friend who lives there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we are between Exeter and Torquay! Yes we have the complete Home Alone series, We usually watch them several times over the festive season (and during the year too!)

      Delete
  2. I love your responses Julie and it's probably nice to have a Xmas "baby" in the house -you'd no doubt miss all the bling if it wasn't there. I did watch Home Alone once so should give it another go.

    40C and prawns is probably a rather large cultural leap. Mind you it's taken us Aussies nearly 200 years to realise we don't live where it's 10C so hot roasts and meals don't suit our Southern Xmas unless we have aircon.

    I used to enjoy Midnight Mass too -once upon a time.

    Thanks for joining in Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about other people's traditions. It must have felt really weird for you, having Christmas in Australia! I included both historical and modern answers to many of the questions in my response to Pauleen's meme: Our Family Christmas - Then and Now.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...