Saturday 24 March 2012

Weekend Cooking - Chicken & Vegetable Pasta

A few weeks ago I simply could not face the thought of shuffling around the supermarket with my bad back, so got organised and shopped on line and had the shopping delivered. All was good, until it arrived and I realised that I had ordered, and been sent the wrong size chicken portions.

Faced with a pack of boneless chicken breasts marked as mini, I did concur that they were indeed mini. Some quick thinking and I pulled together the following, which hubby said was delicious.
  1. George Foreman the chicken breasts
  2. Cook some vegetables - I cheated and used two bags of the ready prepared cauliflower, carrot and broccoli
  3. Cook some pasta shapes
  4. Make a cheese sauce
  5. Drain pasta
  6. Serve chicken and vegetables onto the pasta 
  7. Pour over cheese sauce and a few stands of grated cheese.
Cheese Sauce  - all into a saucepan!
  1. One and half tablespoonfuls of plain flour
  2. Around 2oz of butter
  3. 1pint of milk (or half milk and half water)
  4. Salt and Pepper
  5. Add to the hob and stir furiously
  6. Add grated cheese  - depending on how cheesy you like it!


Taking part in Weekend Cooking hosted by BethFishReads

22 comments:

  1. Hi Julie - This looks really good! Your blog looks different this week! I really like the look :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I have not changed the blog. I know sometimes when I view via iPad the quilted background doesn't show. Technology!

      Delete
  2. Your pasta looks tasty; I enjoy going to the frig, pulling things out and making a yummy dinner out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly beats wasting all those little bits!

      Delete
  3. hey, I am all about pasta this weekend too!
    that looks yummy..I might just stick it under the broiler a minute, to toast it all up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious - I still need to check your WC post. Hubby put his under the grill to brown it!

      Delete
  4. Great way to use up the chicken, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Carol. The chicken being placed on the George Foreman gave it a very different, taste!

      Delete
  5. Always happy to see another pasta recipe. Thanks :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that looks delicious! I love how you use 'George Foreman' as a verb!! haha! Awesome! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice quick thinking, there! Pasta and veggies with a sauce is my go-to dish when something with a recipe isn't going to work out.

    I hope your back has healed!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quick, the biggest challenge was making the sauce while checking the foreman! - the back is a work in progress!

      Delete
  8. Good job saving the day! I love pasta and your dish looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it CHEESY! Love when things come together unexpectedly--especially when you're not feeling 100%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we! I hate a bland tasting cheese sauce.

      Delete
  10. That looks really tasty - I like food that tastes good and is quick and easy to prepare. Hope your back feels better soon (thank goodness for online grocery shopping!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad, but I have got to like online grocery shopping. With my back I found it too much of an ordeal coping with the supermarket.

      Delete
  11. Nice post. Its amazing how much you can do when you have to be inventive without all the right ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, in fact I was thinking I might make that order error again!

      Delete
  12. I love pasta! Here are some Chewy Granola Bars fro dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious, and I am pretty sure my son would love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, I am sure he wood. It was really quick and simple. Even the cheese sauce. It was a roux sauce recipe that I had from my school cooking days, old but it never fails - I just chuck it all in the pan and stir like mad!

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...