Saturday 17 March 2012

What would you put in a Time Capsule?

Bill, who blogs over at West in New England suggested a small challenge. You can read his post here What would you put in a time capsule to be opened a year from now?
  1. Make a list of what you would put in a time capsule and why you'd choose each item. 
  2. What would you use for the time capsule? Where would you have it kept?  
I think it depends on the "market" for your time capsule. As we headed into the new Millennium I did several things. One of which was to keep a year long scrapbook and the other was to create a time capsule which I have placed in the loft for other house owners to find in the future.

In this case, the time capsule contained details about who were were and where we moved from and when we bought the house. It included a copy of the sales particulars. I also included who we had purchased from and other data connected to the house and a copy of the Census information for 1901.

The information was placed in a plastic container which had been lined with archive brown paper. The lid was sealed and then a binding of electrical tape placed securing the seal. Across the top and down the side I wrote
the following information. "Time Capsule, sealed by J & S Goucher January 2000"

We historically think of small vessels to hold time capsules. I would I think use a suitcase or a large firm structure. Cardboard would not be good in case of future dampness. Inclusion would be in two parts about myself and that of my husband. It would include some photographs, copies not originals. There would not be any data discs - everything would be photographic and handwritten copies, as that is pretty much easy viewing. It would include details of hobbies and interests, our jobs and professional life. I am wondering whether to create such an item to be opened on the occasion of my 100th birthday.

This year in the UK is the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. As part of the celebrations there is an opportunity to create a time capsule. You can read the details HERE. Anyone can take part, as long as the memory occurred between 6th February 1952 and 6th June 2012 and is about a Commonwealth Country, any of the 54 of them and can include those Countries no longer within the Commonwealth (Fiji, Hong Kong and Zimbabwe). Or the event could be a World Event and the impact upon a Commonwealth Country. You can follow the project via Twitter and Facebook.

Going forward, I plan to submit an article and photographs to the Jubilee Time Capsule and keep a copy of the information for inclusion within my family archives. I am also going to explore further the details of creating a time capsule to be opened on my 100th birthday. Stay tuned for a likely second post.....

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a time capsule to be opened on my hundredth birthday. I will have to give that some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed by the fact that you have already done a time capsule, and stored in your attic. CLAP CLAP CLAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wanted to mark the Millennium in a special way. We knew that we were, at some point likely to move from this house, so that seemed an apt way of creating a marker for another owner.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...