Saturday 5 January 2013

Classic Reads Blog Hop

I was reminded of the Classic Reads Blog Hop from Vikki who blogs at the The View Outside and decided to play along.

20121017-210049.jpg

This hop is being hosted by Molly Greene, Terri G Long, Christine Nolfi and Rachel Thompson

The point of the hop is that each writer shares what they consider to be a great read which will allow readers to perhaps experience new books and share their views of the books they have read.

To someone who is a real book lover and reads quite a lot this should be an easy post to write. Well, it has been a tricky one and I had to result to walking up the stairs from where I was sitting writing this to the study and pull out those books that for me made a classic read.

What is MY classic read?

This is a book that I read over and over again. The keepers. In the case of one of those book titles it is as much that copy of the book as the story itself. A classic read is one where you finish reading and feel as though you have just lost a good friend.
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute is the book for me that is not only a classic read, but also this copy has to be the one read. The moment I see that book, I can recall the story and where I purchased this very copy and all the good memories of that book come to mind.

A Room with a View by E. M. ForsterA Room with a View by E. M. Forster is another such book and I am rather attached to my copy of it. This one obtained from a Waterstones in Guildford in May 1987. I had been to see the film, which stared Helene Bonham Carter, Dame Maggie Smith & Dame Judi Dench and was filmed in my bit of Surrey.

The End of Your Life Book Club by Will…I am going to add another book which I think has just made my classic's list. A book that I saw, obtained, read and reviewed within the last 6 weeks.

The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe.
This was a really beautiful read. It is essentially the story of life, death, friendship, love and books. You can read my review HERE and I am I think likely to re read within a few months.

The last two author's that make my classic reads are Jennifer Chiaverini whose books about the Elm Creek Quilters are devoured incredibly quickly and Helene Hanff, who is most known for her book 84 Charring Cross Road.

What are your classic reads?

ClassicReads You can sign up HERE

Twitter feed #newclassicreads

9 comments:

  1. Hello Julie from Florida. I read your book review as well as your post, and I found your choices interesting. I have to admit, I've seen the televised version of a Town like Alice years ago, but for some reason, I didn't know it was a book. I want to check it out now. I tend to me more movieish, particularly when it is a book like A Room. I'm a very slow reader with the attention span of a cat, so I have to have sparkly things put before my eyes or I get bored. I wasn't that way when I was younger, but as I've aged, I've become less patient. Thank you for your post. New follower on Google friends and twitter. Java With Jambor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for stopping by I hope you enjoy following! I think as we age we do become less patient and tolerant and why not? Read or watch the movies, do what you enjoy!

      Most films sacrifice accuracy from the book to encourage viewers. A Town Like Alice is a good example of how a film should be, bearing some relevance to the book. In this case it was pretty close and I have not seen the film for years and would like to watch it again.

      Delete
  2. Good choices Julie :)

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower! Funny, but Alice doesn't pop into my head when I think classics but you are certainly right, it is excellent and deserves to be on that shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Greg, Thanks for stopping by and being a new follower. I think I was about 14 when I first saw the film with Brian Brown and it was one of those films that I am simply enthralled with. I then purchased a slightly battered copy from a second hand bookshop. Now that particular copy is a real treasured possession and the story is read at least yearly!

      Delete
  4. Great post Julie and an interesting selection of books as well.

    I have been trying to reduce my TBR list but since starting this hop it just keeps getting bigger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I know, for every book I read I must add another 5 to read. It is really a lost cause!

      Delete
  5. A Town Like Alice, what a great story. I was happily surprised to see it listed. I never heard of the other two books but hope someday I will read them, they sound good. Julie, I also love your quilt backgroound on this blog. Very unique, just like your list. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for listing The End of Your Life Book Club, Julie. That looks like an incredible read! Thank you for joining the hop and have a wonderful 2013!

    My best,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...