Friday 13 January 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy - Week 2 - Paid Online Genealogy Tools


Week Two - Which paid genealogical tool do you appreciate the most? What special features put it at the top of your list? How can it help others with their genealogical research?

Challenge open Sunday 8th January to Saturday 14th January 2012

I have several paid genealogical subscriptions. The one I probably value the most is my World Membership to Ancestry  - probably seen by some as expensive at £155 a year, it enables to me to research an abundance of genealogical records across the world. I have research in Australia, USA, Canada, India, Italy and New Zealand. Whilst some of those Countries have limited access at the moment - such as Italy, I more than make up for the lack of use in that area in other areas, such as the US material. 

Not to mention the value for money in reduced transportation costs. The latest quote for a flight to Sydney for example is around £950, where as this way I can at least do some research on line. There is a trade off. I would rather go to the archive and look at the original document with my own eyes. However, that is not always an option, in terms of costs, time and domestics.

Out of interest, a fellow researcher in the US tells me that she routinely renews her Ancestry subscription using the UK site because of the exchange rate.

I also have a paid subscription to the following UK:
I also belong to a few Family History Societies. Some have placed huge amounts of data at the disposal of their members - these are the one that do, that I am a member of
I also have used Footnote, now Fold3. Mainly on a pay as you go system, when I want a specific document. One of which was a Naturalisation Record for my husband's Great Grandmother.  Another site that offers data on line for purchase is The National Archives. I have had some real success with purchasing military records and early wills.

They key thing is that the majority of these sites offer different things. Each researcher will require something a little different based upon how they research their ancestral roots. Do they simply go backwards or do they perhaps research the families of their ancestry backwards and sideways and research siblings of ancestors.

What is clear, is that however  and whoever we research, we will all have our favourite sites, those what we feel we get the most value for money from. I guess it is a case of one size does not fit all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...