Saturday 21 January 2012

Weekend Cooking - Burns Night!


As this is the last Weekend before 25th January, I thought that I would write about Burns Night. Last year I wrote a guest post over at Geneabloggers last year about Burns Night, explaining how it is celebrated, the poems and with what foods. I have also mentioned previously about a typical meal, in which the essential ingredients are Haggis, Potato and Suede or as they call it north of the border neep!

Haggis can be found in most super markets here in the UK. They are usually found on the fresh meat counters and can be frozen. I routinely have at least two in the freezer. They do need defrosting before cooking.

Haggis can be cooked on the hob, in a pan of boiled water. As soon as the water boils reduce the heat and add the Haggis, with the water simmering it takes around an hour. Haggis can also be cooked in the oven, remove from the plastic casing and wrap in tin foil. Place the Haggis into an oven proof dish with a little water and cook, usually for around an hour. If you cook via the microwave, I usually remove the outer plastic and skin, and don't forget the metal clips at the ends! Cut the Haggis into small segments and cook on full power. Length of time will vary depending on your microwave. 
Picture of ready cooked Haggis.

Haggis Pie

Cook Suede and Potatoes
Haggis cooked for about 3 minutes in the microwave (mine is 900w)
Cut Haggis into sections and place in bottom of a dish, I use a Lasagna dish
Mash Suede and place on top of Haggis
Mash potato and place on top of Suede.
Place in Oven for (mine is fan assisted) so 20 minutes until nice and brown.

Wee Beestie!

Cook Haggis and break into bits with a fork.
Serve on a bed of mashed potato and mashed suede (neep)
cover with cheese sauce and a light dusting of black pepper to taste


Master Chef Tom's Burns NightA nice, informative and easy to read book about a Burns Night Supper is Master Chef Tom's Burns Night







Robert Burns 1759 - 1796


And just to finish off, here is a picture of the man himself!

Weekend Cooking is hosted by BethFishReads

11 comments:

  1. Fun, fun post -- no haggis in US supermarkets, but I remember seeing it in the UK.

    Robert Burns was supposed be quite the lady's man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also buy it in tins. Certainly I have seen it in Scottish supermarkets, must have a look in my local supermarket. If I can get a tin, would you like me to send you one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an informative post- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a lot of ex-pat Scots here in Lanzarote. I must ask them where they get their haggis! I tasted some once, but it’s not something I’d rush to eat again. But then if it was YOUR haggis that may be different Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Beth said, it's pretty impossible to find haggis in the States. I've never had haggis; it sounds basically like sausage...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is tells you what Haggis is!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have had haggis cooked on the barbecue one New Year's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've never BBQ'ed Haggis before, now there is an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, no haggis in US supermarkets. And I would love to try it...what to do, what do to?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haggis pie sounds tasty. Thanks for the suggestion, If I ever find and buy a haggis I'll be sure to remember this version.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...