- Electricity and Gas, forms of heating and light
- A benefit system that could be used if the need arose, without fear of stigma
- Running water that was safe to drink
- Accessibility to medicines that worked
- Security from unscrupulous employers, landlords and retailers
- A World where child mortality is low
- Being able to wash ourselves,clothes and dishes without have to visit the well first.
- Women's rights - we are able to vote, to own property and to be our own person
- ......the list is endless.
I wondered about Ester. Just what had her life been like? Married to a well to do member of the HEIC, was she shamed because of the dual and subsequent outcome of that?, then transported like a common criminal? I wish I knew just what she thought and felt. I wondered just what research material had been left behind of the Bellasis time in Australia. George it is well documented as a military man in Australia and India, there is evidence that he was involved in the Freemason movement in the early days of the colony.
This is a photograph of one of my Maternal Great Grandmothers, Caroline Ellis nee Harris 1844 - 1935 with four of her daughters. My Great Grandmother, Annie Prudence Butcher nee Harris is the lady on the far left. Caroline was in her early 90s when she died, as was my Great Grandmother, and that tradition was followed by three of Annie's five daughters. Yes, people are living longer, but is that the only reason for longevity? Isn't there a chance that genetics, passed from one generation to another simply continue, as do expressions, gestures and a hosts of other things that we inherit from our relatives.