Saturday 5 March 2011

Fearless Females - Day 5

March 5 — How did they meet? You’ve documented marriages, now, go back a bit. Do you know the story of how your parents met? Your grandparents?

My Grandparents met through, I think my Grandmother's brother. Her brothers used to have a tipple in the public house at Guildford called The Plough which was situated on Park Street, which is the same public house my Grandfather's & his brothers used. Location wise it would have been I think the closest pub to Manor Farm where my Grandfather & his brothers lived and to my Grandmother's family who lived near the railway station where they worked at the coal yards situated at the back of the train station owned by the Franks family.

My Grandmother's brother Ernest married my Grandfather's sister Margery and my Grandfather married my Grandmother in November 1939.

I remember, asking my Grandmother once if is was just the men who went to the pubs. She said that her and Marge used to go to Henekey's at Guildford sometimes in the afternoons and have a port and lemon and stand in the rear garden and chat and were not encouraged to go in! I remember being very surprised because I do not recall my Grandmother really having a drink, apart from the odd sherry. I think we see our Grandparents as just that, and forget that behind the fact of being someone's wife, mother, grandmother they are people, and in my Grandmother's case perhaps with a hint of rebel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...