Friday 25 March 2011

Fearless Females - Day 13

March 13 — Moment of Strength: share a story where a female ancestor showed courage or strength in a difficult situation

When the Second World War broke out in September 1939, I am assuming that my Grandmother was engaged and preparing to marry my Grandfather. They married on 4th November 1939 at Guildford Registry Office. My Grandmother was 26 years old and my Grandfather aged 31 years.

I can't help but wonder if the war influenced when they got married. My Grandfather joined the Army as a Territorial in 1940 and I know Gran always felt that she wished he hadn't and instead gone to work with his brothers on the farm, which was a reserved occupation. The fact that he did not take the easy option is a true reflection of the principles that my Grandfather had.

My Grandmother, although had sister in laws nearby and her sister and as far as I know a good relationship with her mother in law, I wonder whether Gran was lonely. She must have been frightened and worried, not just about the bombs that might fall on Guildford, but also on where my Grandfather was.

By the time the war had ended they had been married 7 years and spent most of the time apart and I can not help but wonder what impact that had on their relationship. The sad thing is that there is no one left to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...