Tuesday 8 March 2011

Fearless Females - Day 8

March 8 — Did one of your female ancestors leave a diary, journal, or collection of letters? Share an entry or excerpt.

No Diary or journal is known to have been left by any of my female ancestors.

I have though inherited a series of letters from my Grandmother to me. They are currently in the box that once contained writing paper. The box is not terribly big, about 15 inches by about 10 inches or thereabouts. The box sits in my study and each day I go into the study I wonder just when I will be able to open the box and read the letters?

My Grandmother passed away in 1995 and I still can not read the letters, nothing, but nothing will compensate the fact that she is not here.

It does not matter that some of the letters are rambling, or that the writing is all over the page, due to her mind being affected by the illness and her eyesight. They were her letters to me and I will always treasure them.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have personal pages from the ancestors of my side of the family, but I do of my mother-in-laws. She was a Fower and was part of the early settlers here in Utah.

    In her entry, she had wedged a candle between her knees and would mend socks into the late of the night with a potato. Wolves would howl by the door. Interesting stuff, isn't it???

    Thanks for the chance to let me share and for you sharing as well!

    Happy Women's Day!

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, what a lovely commentary on your grandmother. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, thanks for sharing the details from your mother in laws journal. It is indeed interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Joan for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...