Saturday 26 March 2011

Weekend Cooking - Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management

About a month ago I saw an interesting two part review of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management (Abridged version published by World Classics).

Here are the links to Review One and Review Two written by Bunny's Stuff.

I was interested in the review and as I had a voucher that I wanted to spend on books that would become part of my library collection I ordered it from Waterstones about two weeks ago.

The book arrived today and looks really interesting and is currently resting on my cookbook shelf on the hall bookcase.

10 comments:

  1. I have a copy I bought years ago -- with a different cover. It's fascinating reading. Can't wait to hear your thoughts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard of this book before, but it sounds very interesting. I want to check it out...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, I think my home management might fall a bit short...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good looking book - I am afraid that one would go the same way as the "declutter your life" book... right from the store to the shelf... I still have not read it... GAH! I really should :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My home management fails miserably! I am looking forward to reading. It will be a while yet as I have a rather healthy pile of library books and a book to review, hence be installed in the bookcase already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book looks good, sounds like a great addition to my cookbook collection. I love books like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find and a good addition to any food library.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Took a look at Bunny's Stuff's reviews, seems like a gigantic book to read... but it contains so much useful information. And it's a history lesson too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the book is a whopper 672 pages. It is though more of a text than a cover to cover read, and it has a great cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't I heard that Mrs. B. wasn't quite the
    'real thing?' :<)

    I have a 1946 book on the shelf by someone named Jessie De Both who is called 'the famous home economist'

    I love books like this.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...