Thursday 10 March 2011

Fearless Females - Day 10

March 10 — What role did religion play in your family? How did your female ancestors practice their faith? If they did not, why didn’t they? Did you have any female ancestors who served their churches in some capacity?

Religion did not play a particularly important role. We attended church for the regular Birth, Marriages and Deaths. I was christened at St Nicholas Church at Guildford, as was my Mum and Grandmother. The same church was also used by my Grandfather's sisters weddings. My Grandfather and his three brothers each married at Guildford Registry Office.

I wonder if the significance of less involvement with the church occurs from the family no longer living in a village community? Did my Great Grandmother born in 1844 and lived in Puttenham for most of her life attend church regularly on a Sunday? Or was she shunned if she did not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...