Sunday 6 March 2011

Sunday Salon - Books & Quilts



I have not written a fuller Sunday Salon post for over two weeks, although I did write last week about the situation in New Zealand.

The last few weeks have been busy, with work and proof reading the final days of the Family History Writing Challenge. I did manage to return my library books last Monday without incurring a fine - hooray! and collect a few more. I cannot resist, but I did try....honest. I also collected my stash of books for World Book Night, but more about that later.

My latest book review was the latest in the Lindsay Boxer series by James Patterson - 9th Judgement.

A few weeks ago I dropped a note on a blog hosted at Dizzy-C Book Blog of the strangest food eaten. My comment was that I had eaten, even the smallest, minuscule bit of snake. I promise a blog post on it, which I finally did yesterday and you can read about it HERE, the result was my comment won me a lovely signed copy of the latest book by Christina Courtenay called The Scarlet Kimono, which looks at first glance to be a great book, more when I have read it.

One of my favourite author's is Marie Bostwick, who writes a great series called the Cobbled Court Series, which is essentially about quilting. I highly recommend the series and have read books one and two, have book three on the bedside table and yesterday I have received an email advising that book 4 is due to be published later in the Spring.

Also mentioned in the newsletter was a great link to a website called Jo's Library Quilt and you can also join the Face Book page which accompanies the web page. There are a few link to follow if you are interested, but it appears that the original concept was a patten created by Christine Thresh. The whole purpose is to raise money for a new library in Coalville in Utah USA, and what a wonderful way to raise it. I am planning to purchase the patten from Christine Thresh's website for a project of my own.

A couple of weeks ago I spotted on a well known auction site a rather amazing scrapbook relating to a distant branch of my family. I watched the item for a week, daring to read each day what the current bid was at. Last Sunday evening was the finish line and I placed my bid, and waiting to see if anyone else was planning to bid. Thankfully no one did, and yesterday the scrapbook arrived. It spans the entire political career of my distant ancestor from 1868 - 1874. I sat yesterday morning and looked through the book wondering just who had collected the items, was it a Victorian fan, or perhaps a family member? Maybe even the individual himself. I think I have now worked it out, but more on that later. In the meantime, a little glimpse at the scrapbook!


4 comments:

  1. That scrapbook is a real find and I'm glad your bid was successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had a busy week! Hope you enjoy your new wins.

    Here is my Sunday Salon post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/03/sunday-salon.html I hope you will stop by and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you located the scrapbook on auction? Just curious. Liked your Sunday salon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan, Glad you enjoyed the post. I have a search set and when something is listed with the name of Bowring the site sends me an email.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...