Thursday 11 August 2011

Genealogy Photo Challenge - The Past is Present

The following is submitted to the Genealogy Photo Challenge for World Photograph Day on 19th August 2011. The theme is The Past is Present.

My contribution to this challenge is the graves of my Great Grandparents, John Matthews (1875 - 1931) and Mary Elizabeth Matthews nee Elstone (1880 - 1937).

The plot was purchased by my Great Grandmother in 1931 when her husband John passed away. In 1937 the grave was reopened following the death of my Great Grandmother Mary. My Grandmother always maintained that her mother's coffin was very heavy, it was lead lined and her mother had died from stomach cancer and there was concerns about toxins and alike. You can read more of how I became the owner of this grave HERE

Grave of John & Mary Matthews
The Grave located at the Mount Cemetery Guildford Surrey in 1937

Grave of John Matthews & Mary Elizabeth Matthews nee Elstone
The same Grave in 2007.

To take part, simply post your photograph and descriptive caption to your blog and send the link to The Family Curator by 15th August 2011.

5 comments:

  1. Fascinating stuff! My maternal Grandfather and his family were stonemasons - his monument is a staggering 8'+ obelisk and curb in rose granite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story and great photos, Julie. Thanks for joining in the Past is Present challenge for World Photo Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to see how much more used the older photo shows the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't make out the inscription, which appears to surround the grave. Do you know what it says?

    The cemetery seems a bit neglected today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Sharon. It is an late 1800's into the 1900's cemetery in Guildford Surrey. The grave is that of my maternal Great Grandparents. My Great Grandfather John Matthews born 1875 Rugby England and died 1931 Guildford Surrey. Also interned is his wife, my Great Grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Matthews (nee Elstone) born 1880 Liphook Hampshire and died 1937 Guildford Surrey.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...