Tuesday 30 August 2011

Tea Cup Tuesday - Queen Victoria 1897

Welcome to the latest Tea Cup Tuesday post. 

This week I have selected one of my favourites; a commemorative set from the Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897, so this was her Diamond Jubilee.

I can't recall where I bought the teacup and saucer, it might have been the local antique hot spot of the South West of Engand - Honiton. 


A few years later, after buying the tea cup and saucer I saw for sale in Honiton the delightful tea pot stand and the tea pot. I remember thinking it wasn't actually what I wanted; at the time I was looking for saucers and plates to decorate above the picture rail in our lounge, but I knew that if I didn't get them I would regret it. I bought them and they came home with me and now live in our lounge, in a house built the year before the Jubilee in 1897.


Submitted as part of Tea Cups Tuesday hosted by Artful Affirmations

4 comments:

  1. Oh, what a unique cup....love the soft pink! Happy end of August~
    poetryinapotoftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful teacup and teapot..and such a piece of history too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your commemorative tea cup, as well as the tea pot! How lucky for you to find it (even when you weren't looking for it!). I only have a few commemorative tea cups and I really treasure them. None as old as yours though.
    I love going to Honiton. They have some very nice Antique shops and good tea rooms.
    Thank you so much for sharing your treasures with us today.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda6:10 pm

    Hi I have a cup with the same picture, but it is white and a different shape.
    In my family the story is that a great-great ancestor was in service at Sandringham (family come form Norfolk) and was given the cup to commemorate the jubilee.
    Do you have any infromation about this set please?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...