Saturday 20 August 2011

National Lemonade Day!


Today is National Lemonade Day! So, I thought I would share my Grandmothers very simple recipe.

Casting my mind back to the summers of my childhood, there was the delicious home made lemonade, which sat in the larder in a large heavy 1930s china jug decorated with summer flowers. The jug has long since gone but the recipe lingers on and will be made today I think, a lovely summers day in England.


The recipe is simple.

Add sugar to a jug, to taste
Cut 1 or 2 lemons 
Add boiling water to the jug and stir
Place in the fridge until cold

3 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I never thought to boil the water! Genius! And I love the imagery of the china jug. Sometimes I wonder about those little things that our memories hang on to and if I;m providing them for my family?
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the memories of your grandmother's lemmonade. Thanks for the recipe for homemade lemmonade, too. I rely too much on powered lemmonade! Thanks for stopping by and saying "hi".

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, thanks for stopping by. How did your lemonade making go? You know I can visualise lots from my childhood and often wonder if what I writing is a good reflection of what I can see in my minds eye. I think in our own way we do provide memories for our family. I recall having a conversation with my cousins daughter when I lived with them in the early 1990s in Australia. That daughter is now a Mum herself and I mentioned something in an email that I was thinking of doing for her children next year when I visit. The response was, that she and her late brother did the same with me when I was there and did I remember. That was special to me, because she remembered.

    Ms Daisy - I am interested in the powdered lemonade. I have never heard of it, and I wonder if we can buy it here?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...