Sunday 14 August 2011

Weekend Cooking - Foods & Stamps


Over the last few weeks I have been taking part in a weekly meme called Sunday Stamps. It all started as I contemplated what to do with my childhood stamp collection. I am digressing slightly, but I am sure I will be forgiven? So, I pondered and then made the decision to pass them onto my Cousins children in Australia when I visit next year. I shall use the weekly meme to share and enjoy my collection before passing it on to another generation of my family to enjoy.

As a result of the weekly meme I stop by other blogs to see what they have written about; and that is the link to weekend cooking comes in! I visited the blog called My World of Stamps and saw the fasciating set of Malaysian stamps depicting traditional foods. This was also the theme on another blog, hosted by Ian and called Ian's Collection where the focus is the secret code which features in the mirror stamps. Have a look at the great and imaginative stamps and foods in the Traditional Festive Food post of 2010.

I tried to remember if there had been a UK set of stamps depicting foods and I can not recall any. A quick Google didn't reveal any either.

I wonder what food subjects I would reflect on stamps if I had the choice? Would I focus on foods typically thought of as "British or English foods", would I focus on foods that I particularly like or that had special memories or meanings to me? Would the focus be on perhaps regional foods? I guess the possibilities are endless. What would you choose?

Remember these?

Picture from Wikipedia
I remember my Grandmother, in the 1970s visiting the Co-Op store in Guildford and collecting the stamps. I am fairly sure that if I look in the loft there is an incomplete book of the stamps. I am guessing they were saved and then handed over for either special items or perhaps for Christmas groceries. These are perhaps the forerunner for the points systems operated by Tesco and Sainsbury's supermarkets here in the UK.

6 comments:

  1. When I was little, the grocery stores used to offer stamps. I haven't seen them in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think that supermarkets still gave them out, then when we were in Jersey I saw a sign on the window of the local Co-Op.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting post. Here in the states, we have nothing like these stamp programs. I also read last winter about a British system of stamps or cards or something like that which can only be used for purchasing books!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Co-op still uses stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it Carole? Our local one doesn't they do have a membership system and you can get points which eventually equates into vouchers. I rarely get the vouchers as I rarely use the Co-Op!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm old enough to remember Green Stamps and there were yellow ones too (I forget what they were called -- *not* "yellow stamps"). YOu would get them at the grocery, the gas station, and maybe at the five and dime. When you filled up so many books, you could trade them in for household goods: dishes, towels, small appliances. Each item cost a different amount of books. I think they went out of style in the early 1980s.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...