Friday 10 February 2012

Gone, A Photographic Plea for Preservation by Shelby Foote & Nell Dickerson

Gone: A Heartbreaking Story of the Civil War: A Photographic Plea for Preservation

I received my copy of this last year as part of the Library Thing Early Reviewers Programme.

I was intrigued about the storyline,the history and words behind the photographs, which displayed an abandonment of the history of the United States. Essentially the book is the short story, titled the Pillar of Fire by Shelby Foote. To accompany the short story there are some truly breathtaking photographs taken by Nell Dickerson. There is some misalignment between the storyline and the accompanying photograph, but that did not detract from what the book is trying to achieve.

The photographs show a derelict buildings each in poor condition, desperately affected by the elements. Each of those building played a part in the pre and post life of the Civil War and as such they deserve to be preserved for future generations.

Whilst I read this as a PDF version I was able to read easily on iPad,PC and Laptop. I have since ordered this book in the hard back version so that I can enjoy the photographs further.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...