Thursday 2 February 2012

NaBloPoMo - February 2012 - Relative! - Day 2

Today, the Anglers Rest Blog is 10 years old - Happy Birthday!

Over the last 10 years the feel of this blog has changed. I still read a lot and post reviews, but there seems to be a change in the depth of those reviews and other posts which I make.

Back in 2002 Blogging, at least to me, did not seem to be as popular as it is now. On a personal note, I wasn't really sure what to do with a blog. I knew the purpose of one, but how much personal data did I want to put "out there"? I had all these considerations. In reality, Anglers Rest has really come into its own in the last couple of years.

The key to hosting a successful blog is to be true to yourself and to write honestly. I rarely divulge personal information - things I would not share with a stranger at a bus stop! It is easy to get carried away when writing, especially forgetting, that when I sit alone in my study writing and eventually hit send that the results are certainly seen by those who read my blog by email or reader, or perhaps follow  my tweets. Google also tracks the posts and they can be read by everyone. 

The catalyst for this was a change a in my professional life. Anglers Rest became somewhere that I could escape into and write whenever, about whatever I chose to, without any constraints apart from legal ones and the ones I placed upon myself.  Anglers Rest remains a place where I can write about all the things Relative to me - my interests and obsessions. The subjects are mainly genealogy or book related, but sometimes there is a post relating to health or social aspects, or perhaps our holidays. Occasionally my living family appear in  - my Husband and our dog Alfie and my Mum. There is rarely a mention of the day job and that is the way I like it!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogiversary and congratulations Julie! ten years is very impressive. You've raised some interesting points about privacy. It's a juggling act at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 10th birthday! It will be interesting how different you feel your blog is after the next 10 years.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...